About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Writing in Latrine

Apparently the U.S.O. helped soldiers record their voices onto vinyl 78 rpm records to be sent home to the family.  According to this letter, Ben recorded one but it’s not to be found.  Here Ben has been in Camp Croft for one week.  His letter writing continues even from the latrine.

July 13, 1943                                            
Monday

Dear Folks:

I’m writing this letter in the latrine because it’s lights out & I didn’t have time before.  All around me fellows are shaving, washing, taking showers, (I had one, you don’t know how refreshing they are), cleaning rifles, and etc.

As I said in the record, sometimes it doesn’t even seem like I’m in the Army.  After I left that first U.S.O. house where I recorded the record, we went to three other nice ones.  We had iced tea & donuts.  At the U.S.O. operated by the Jewish Welfare Board, we had salami sandwiches, coffee, cake & coleslaw.  Tasted pretty nice.  They’re having a barbecue Friday so I might come out.

The fellows in my barracks, 59 in all, (32 on my floor), are between the ages of 18-23, most of whom have been to college, even if only a few months.

I received the box Saturday & it sure came in handy.  I was just ready to wash out some towels & shorts.  And say, both sizes fit so they are O.K.  About the slippers, anything to wear on a wet cement floor (the latrine is located right in the building).  The ropies (shoes for the shower) will do all right.  And about the chain.  I don’t want you to spend that much money because I might break it or something.  I didn’t try it on until tonite because I was undecided whether to keep it or not.  After all you’ll probably have to spend more money on me as time goes by.  The majority of the fellows use heavy string. The plastic is no good because the sweat rots it.  Well, anyhow the hole in the dog tags is too small for the chain.  Tomorrow, I’m going to try & enlarge the holes to see if it will fit.  I still don’t think you should have spent so much.

One thing I would like is a subscription to the Times Union - Got a lot of fun out of reading the hometown newspaper. The people in Spartanburg are also buying a
carrier named “Shangri La.”  I couldn’t find any of those “Southern Belles” in Spartanburg.  Only 3 good looking girls that I could see.

I can’t figure out whether the Army is trying to build us up or make us all 4-F’s.  Our legs ache from the exercises so we can hardly walk, our fingers are stiff, & our shoulders are sore from the rifles & we had another injection Saturday so most of the fellows arms hurt.

Had a good meal on Sunday, four desserts (cake, ice cream, fruit salad, plums).  Had a piece of baked Virginia Ham & a tiny piece of bacon but I don’t like them although I’m getting acclimated to the rest of the food.  We have a nice Mess Sarge.  If we don’t have enough to eat, he gives us something else.  In fact, he makes you eat something else.  He made a guy eat 6 eggs after a fairly decent meal & another fellow had to eat about the equivalent of two full lemon pies, just because they complained.  What a Mess.

Croft is the best training camp in the country (everybody says so) because it is the most complete basic training course & teaches more discipline than any other camp.  I’d rather be some other place.

Either it’s hot as hell or it’s raining like hell.  The rain springs out of the sky all of a sudden, rains harder than it ever did in Rochester & then disappears.  Next day, ground is all dusty.  It’s rained for the last two nites & practically all today.  It was a funny sight!  (We saw “Hit the Ice.”  Remember that scene where he puts in & takes clothes out of a bureau).  We were doing the same thing with putting raincoats on & off every 10 minutes, until finally we had to call it quits at 4:00.

Cookies come smashed but send them anyway.  I’ve received mail regularly since a week ago - At least 2 or 3 a day.  I’ve written all the relatives & most of my friends.

Got overcoat, another fatigue & Kaki outfit today - 2 sizes in Army - too large & too small.  Pants all too long.  This seat is getting very tiring, so I’ll have to quit & get a few hours sleep.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment