About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Guard Duty

Ben is in Camp Croft, South Carolina   He's 18 years old, and began basic training in the middle of June.
July 24, 1943
Thursday

Dear Folks,
Well, we just got finished with another “floor” show & after we clean our rifles, shine our shoes, make our beds, (they were out to air), & take a shower, we can all hit the hay, & are we tired. 

We all had guard duty last night as you undoubtedly know by now.  I was a supernumerary & with another fellow was put in the guardhouse watching the prisoners, letting them in & out to wash, drink, etc.  It was the easiest job on the post because we sat all the time, could go next door to the P.X. (Post Exchange) & get cokes & stuff.  And then just as I was about to be relieved, I was called upon as a super, to walk a kid’s post who had bad feet.  And what a post.  Up & down a hill, up a dirt driveway, down a gravel driveway, up some stairs & up another hill.  And when I got back, I couldn’t sleep on account of the other kids were always getting up to go on their posts.  In fact, the air was so still, none of us got any sleep.  
And what do you think they gave us.  Two more A.S.T.P tests (Army Specialized Training Program) - in Sciences (Biology, chemistry, physics, etc.) & Mathematics.  Oh well, I didn’t want to go to college anyway.  It seems that whenever we take tests in the Army, we’re always tired.  At Camp Upton, when we arrived & the last A.S.T.P. test I was on Kitchen Patrol & got all wet washing dishes ( have to work at high speed) & as a result was squirming all over my seat.   About that bugler.  Is he lousy.  He actually stinks.  One day he was playing retreat & even the officers couldn’t hold back their laughs.  Say, in the next letter, would you mind sending me a list of what I requested.  I’ve forgotten most of the stuff.  And don’t forget to put in that subscription to the Times Union.

Saw “Dixie” last Sunday & there were a couple of scenes in there where we hit the ceiling.  Bing’s wife was pleading to go South & says something to this effect, “The sun will be good for me”!!!!!!  Also in another scene, Bing tells the cast of the show, - “Okay, Take a 10 min break.”  You don’t know how we’re always on the lookout for that message.  You probably don’t get the full effect of those scenes....but we did!  Hope Arnette’s feeling okay & everything is well at home.  Well, I’m sort of in a hurry &  want to get to sleep, so.....

Love, 
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment