About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Rationing

Americans on the home front supported the war by buying War Bonds which helped to cover the cost of the war.  Certain items were rationed at home and could only be purchased with stamps from ration books supplied by the government.  Driving less, carpooling, riding bicycles saved gasoline for the war effort.  Many families grew Victory Gardens as a supply of food for themselves. 

July 21, 1943
Spartanburg, South Carolina

Dear Folks,
Just got off a window washing detail after a very hot day.  One kid keeled over with five about to.  But they didn’t take their salt tablets which are essential if you want to stay on your feet. Went on a four and a half mile hike last nite.  Nothing to it.  Used very leisurely stride.  Going on another one Friday.  Our Sarge knew just what we wanted.  He bought us a few cases of Pepsi.  He’s the best Sarge in the Company.  He’s only 25 but looks older.  He’s from Buffalo.  Practically everybody here has “prickly heat.”  It’s not serious but it’s very itchy.  Mine is going away now.  Going on Guard Duty tomorrow.

We’ve just added another gripe to our list.  The laundry is just a government racket.  They take $1.50 out a month regardless if you send or not.  So we sent.  You should see all the creases in the uniforms.  From now on it’s the dry cleaners for me.  Didn’t get any of my own handkerchiefs back.  One guy got back civilian shorts when he sent G.I.’s, and the condition!  They just run it through a wringer, not pressed or anything, just a mass of clothes.

When you send next box, send oranges, life savers, few undershirts, a few sweat socks and more jelly candy.  Here’s something on the classification system.  A man who had been a mailman for 15 years was classified as a machine gunner.  When he complained that the army needed postal clerks and why he wasn’t put in that classification, they answered that since he had been walking on his feet in the sun and rain for 15 years carrying a pouch weighing 25-30 pounds that he was the ideal man for a machine gunner.  Simple, eh?

I don’t know whether to put the money in Bonds or not.  I think you better put it in my account in the bank.  They invest anyway.  Be sure to pack cookies securely.   Well, I guess that’s enough for now.  Until next time.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment