About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Target Scores

Ben mentions working in the “pits.”   Standing in pits about six feet deep, the worker sets up targets shaped like a man for soldiers to aim at in target practice.

August 10, 1943        
Camp Croft, South Carolina
Monday nite
(In the Latrine)

Dear Folks,
Well, the first day on the range wasn’t bad at all, except for the 50 minute hike to & from, over the worst trail you ever laid your eyes on.  Hilly, rutted, & strewn with stones.  The sun wasn’t out at all in the morning for which I was mighty thankful because I fired in the morning.  It was only practice fire but I made a pretty good score.  Here’s the score picture --

    Prone position        54 points    out of sixty
    Sitting        “           36     “         out of forty
    Squatting   “           35     “         out of forty   
    Kneeling     “          37     “         out of forty
    Standing     “          34     “         out of forty   
(most unsteady position & was only luck that I got 3 bulls eyes in this.  This was above the average of the other fellows in this position.  But I’m not gloating over this score because it was just practice.  I’m worried about the rapid fire but hope for the best.

Your package was waiting for me when we arrived back tonite.  Those pears sure were delicious.  I’m going to take an orange & 2 pears with me on the range tomorrow to eat with my lunch.  The apples didn’t stand up too well, though.  Well I’ve got to get to sleep as we’re getting up at 3:30.  Oh, I forgot to tell you that I was in the pits in the afternoon.  Nice & cool there & wasn’t hard work either.  I’m going to be in the pits tomorrow morning too & shoot in the afternoon.

Love  
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment