About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Ammunition Training

Joseph Pizzimenti, the infantryman’s photo shown here in full military attire was also at Camp Croft. Camp Croft’s website has a portfolio of his photos.  His son, Joe, was contacted for permission to use the photos in Ben’s web site, and he graciously agreed.  

In an email to Florence from Joe, he writes about his father, his letters from Okinawa, his photos, and the things that he’s discovered over the last 7 years.  He says, “Like you with Ben’s letters, I received my father’s letters after he passed away.  I understand every emotion and thrill that you’ve gotten by reading them because I’ve experienced them too.  I also share your yearning for the chance to ask questions and the wishes of receiving the letters sooner.  It’s nice to meet someone else with a passion for history and preserving it.” 

July 10, 1943
Camp Croft, S.C.
                                               
Sat. Night

Dear Folks:

Well, another week is over, with probably the toughest week coming up.  We'll be on the range for four days or more.  The work itself won’t be hard.  We’ll either be firing, in the pits, on ammunition detail or resting (in the sun as there is no shade out there).
The whole thing will be the strain & tension that we will be under, because they stress this shooting so.  And why shouldn't they because the rifle is the Infantryman’s protection. And all the platoons are betting against each other, so there’s another tension.  I hope I make good on it though.

Well, I can finally touch the ground with my hands.  Before I came in the Army, I couldn’t even touch my shoes.  You know, I was thinking a few days ago of what I used to think before I got in the Army.  I used to wonder if the Army would let us take showers after we finished our physical training.  No kidding, I even asked a couple of kids.  If I had only known how sweaty we would be after a day’s work.  I couldn’t imagine.
   
We get no greater pleasure than when we’re marching back to our barracks at 4:30 and are dismissed.  No matter how tired we are, we can all gather up enough energy to rush in to get undressed & take a shower.  What a glorious feeling.

I was glad to get those pictures but I never realized I looked that horrible.  You’re still as cute as ever though.  And Arnette & Bill are looking in tiptop condition too.  How about some more pictures of the whole family.  I’ll try & get some of me.  So don’t be impatient.

Have you any apples in Rochester.  I had my first apple in about three months today.  It was just a small green one but it sure tasted delicious.  Send a few next week.  Well, I don’t want to waste the precious night, so....

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment