About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

No cameras allowed

In the Army for 10 days, here is Ben's description of his first day of drilling.  Food is mentioned in most of his letters, and in this letter he draws a picture of the small portion size of meat he had.  He was probably famished after all the day’s drilling.   He’s in the Army now!
Camp Croft, S.C.
July 6, 1943
 Mon. Nite
Dear Civilians,

Today was our first day of drilling at Camp Croft.  And it was murder.  Hot as all get out.  And it was supposed to be cool compared to what it gets sometimes.  It was 97 degrees today & it rises to 130 degrees sometimes.  The sweat was rolling in buckets-full.  The only consolation about the whole thing is that all the “looies” & even the Company Commander was with us all the time.  You don’t feel so bad then.  Even on the train, the lst Lieutenant in charge of us slept right with us.

We just went out and got our gas masks.  We’re going to wear them within the next couple of days. Our appearance today (sweat) is about one quarter of what our appearance will be from now on.  They warned us that we will come in all muddy tomorrow.  So rush it on that underwear.  About 4 pair white, like Pop’s.  Also about three large white Turkish towels.  Make the slippers white canvas, that I can wear in a shower.  Also hangers & anything else I might have told you.  I have to stop now to memorize the General Orders.  I’ll finish this later.

.....Well, I memorized 4 out of 11 so I’ll continue now.  I’ve written you about the Mess System here & I repeat I don’t like it.  There’s not enough to go around.  Some get big portions, some little, & some none.  Yesterday all the meat I had was this big.  This noon I didn’t get any salad.  Don’t believe all that propaganda you read in the papers & magazines.  We only get less than a cup of milk a day.  Tonight I was right in front of the meat, so I made a hog of myself, & I didn’t care.

Boy am I glad I got my G.I. haircut.  No hair in my face & I don’t have to comb it in the mornings.  I like it although the barber didn’t do such a good job.  About some more propaganda that you read in the papers.  I’ve talked with a lot of fellows & none of them have ridden in a Pullman.  We’ll get paid about July 31st, I think.  Please excuse the way I’m writing, the mixed up paragraphs, misspelled words, because I’m so rushed I don’t even remember what I’m writing.  Perhaps I won’t write for a couple of days so I can catch up on other mail, but you have no excuse.

No cameras are allowed in camp.  Maybe when I get to town I can get some.  About that I.Q. test.  The mark was 120.  Everything over 115 qualifies for Army Specialized Training Program.  You have no choice in the matter.  They put you in the A.S.T.P.  I wasn’t going to tell you this until I finished basic training but I might as well tell you now, all the fellows I came down with are mostly college men.  Pre-Med & Engineering.  After we finish Basic, they send us to college.  We have no choice.  That’s what I don’t like.  They even select your course for you.  We had a classification test today & the guy said it was a great opportunity.  I told him I wanted to get into something motorized.  He told me to forget it because it was beneath my class, with my I.Q., even though I like it.  I didn’t want to tell you this in case I flunk out.

About my tonsils, I’m undecided.  I’ll have to make up all the work I miss at night or later & I don’t want to do that.  Also the Army does not give you sunglasses, or so the Sarge said.  About the movies.  They have them.  At Upton “Stage Door Canteen” was starting last Sunday.  Naturally I missed it & it’s already played here & I so wanted to see it.  About the furlough bag, I kept all my underwear, towels, socks & personal stuff in it so it wasn’t too big & I carried it in my barracks bag on the train.  Here at Croft, you have to display every item in a foot locker & store it.  I don’t know what size I’ll need for little furloughs.  Probably the same bag.
I wish I wasn’t in Infantry training because it’s the hardest there is.  It was raining like hell for about an hour but it’s stopped now.  Well, I got to memorize the rest of the Orders so I’ll sign off.  Don’t forget to write because you don’t know the feeling you get at mail call when you receive a few letters (one from Katz). I haven’t had time to write anyone else my new address so you might spread it around.

Love,
Ben

P.S. A couple of white face towels - small ones - Also bar of face soap, & little scissors in First Aid Kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment