About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Range Week

It’s easy to visualize how soldiers learn the various techniques of shooting accurately, as Ben describes in this letter.  Click Ben’s name at the end of this letter to get to his website to view a “1943 Army Rifle Training Movie” revealing the Army’s serious determination to have a well-trained force.

August 8, 1943
Camp Croft, South Carolina      

Dear Folks,
Well range week is all through, and all and all, it wasn’t too bad.  The shooting itself was really fun, especially the rapid firing.  What a nice feeling, just lying there and squeezing off the shots till your clip is empty.  We also shot slow fire, shooting at will, and taking our time.  But in the rapid fire, we would be standing & at a given signal, all the targets would go up together.  Then we would drop into our position, get the proper sight picture & commence firing.  There’s really more to shooting than just squeezing the trigger.  We have a regular formula to figure out for the elevation & windage

(Wind Velocity x Range   = clicks to turn on Knob).
         10

Once you get that figured out, you can put your shots into the bulls-eye practically every time, providing your position is correct in every little detail.  Remember how I used to hate getting in those uncomfortable positions (& I do mean they were uncomfortable) but now I realize that they mean a lot because after you get used to them, they are the most steady.  The pits was where we had to keep on our toes.  When a bullet goes thru your target it makes a noise like a small firecracker.  We have to yank it down, mark it, patch up the previous hole, run it up, & disk it.  It’s not hard work, just have to keep alert.  And if we weren’t, we would have to double time for about 10 minutes in the sun.  And if you had your pack & rifle in the pits with you, you had to wear them while you double timed.  I had to double time once, without the pack, & I didn’t have to button up my shirt because I ripped the button out.

Saturday, we fired the Carbine.  Boy is it light, you hardly know you’re carrying it.  That’s why all the officers carry them instead of the Garand.  It’s used mostly for close work because it’s not very accurate over 200 yards.  It has a magazine that holds 15 shots.

I probably told you about the Troop Trail.  Well, we didn’t have to go home by it since Wednesday.  No, it wasn’t for our benefit.  It rained like hell Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday at about 4 every afternoon.  So we went home by the highway.  On no, not on the concrete, but on the muddy shoulder.  Walk two steps & slide back one.  Boy this Carolina mud.  Saturday, they had a band greet us as we entered the gate.  Boy, that music lifted us right up.  We stopped dragging our feet & started strutting.

When you hear anybody squawking about a 10 hour day, tell them we were on a 15 hour day, plus 2 hours for cleaning the x8?!!%*/* (blankety blank) rifle.  You have to keep it free from rust, which seems to congregate in all the dark corners.  We have to keep the bore from getting pitted, because if we don’t we have to pay for it.  Boy, do we get mad, when after spending all nite on it, the Sarge or Lieutenant finds some rust on it.  On the range, the Commanding Officer was going around & putting down names in his little black book.  This morning he came around & inspected every rifle in the whole company.  There’s going to be inspection for the next three days too, because after firing, we have to keep using bore cleaner on it so it won’t get pitted.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you.  I made Expert (the highest), & I made it honestly.  I say that because there was a lot of cheating, not that we wanted it, but because the C.O. wanted everybody an expert (he’s bucking for a Captaincy), so they would jack up the scores, but I can honestly say, they didn’t jack up mine.  Also one afternoon, there was cheating in the pits.  The officer in charge wouldn't allow any misses, two’s or three’s, just 4’s & bulls eyes.  But after a while they had to stop that because the Colonel was paying out too much money ($1) for 9 bulls eyes out of 9 shots.  But I didn’t fire that afternoon so I know that I didn’t get my Expert dishonestly.  Most of the fellows didn’t like that business because we want to know just what we
can shoot, not what the officers want us to.  We had a $60 bet on with the next platoon but there was nothing else to do but call it off.  Well you’re probably tired of hearing about the range, so on with the news. 

Yes, Ruthie deary, I did write Mom & Dad, but just once.  I received all their letters too.  I hope you & the rest weren't worried about me because you didn’t receive mail for a week, but you'll have to learn to expect that. Another latrine rumor is going around that there are only 4 more weeks to go.  I don’t pay any attention to them anymore. Keep sending the Times.  I like to read it when I get time.  The other Rochester boys gets the Democrat & we swap. Got a letter from Hessy yesterday.  Gave me the usual advice.  Got a letter from Bella too.  She sends best regards.  Also got a letter from Madeline but I’m not writing any more letters this weekend.  So if you see her, tell her I’m glad she had such a nice time on her vacation & thanks again for the 2 pounds of Fanny Farmer candy. Starting tomorrow we can sleep until 5:15 because we don’t have 6 stand reveille (?) as a result of having no A.W.O.L’s (Absent Without Leave) during the six weeks.  It’s going to be heaven sleeping those extra 15 minutes.

Arnette (Ben’s sister) sure is getting plenty of practice for her married life, from what you say in your letters.  If those brownies are an example of her work, you must get swell meals.  They were really tasty.  I got the box today & enjoyed those pears & peaches immensely.  They were a little soft in spots but still delicious.  I’m a popular man around here now that I’ve got the cleaning brushes.  Say that toothpowder arrived just in time, because this morning I dropped my small box of Lyons in the sink, full of water.  I haven’t opened the raisins or figs yet.  I’m saving those for the middle of the week.  I can just taste those figs in my mouth.  My pipes sure needed that pipe cleaner, too.

Here’s my order for next week. Tootsie Rolls, Couple of  pairs of underwear because sometimes the laundry is late,  couple of  pairs of wool socks to replace worn ones. Tell Bob to pick out the best pretty girl pictures from the old desk & include them in next week’s box.  Also the color pictures of Veronica Lake & Rita Hayworth.  We’re not allowed to have them on the walls but we paste them in our lockers.  (Again excuse the style, spelling & English of this letter) Guess I’ll go see “DuBarry” now.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment