About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Troop Train

Ben is on a troop train traveling to the University of Connecticut for A.S.T.P. school.  He is 18 years old.   Click on Troop Train to link over to Ben's website to view a US War Department Movie “Troop Train.”   This 1943 film follows the staging of trains for the war effort.

Storrs, Connecticut
October 6, 1943
Tues Noon
Still Aboard the Troop Train 

Hi Folks,
Boy, I feel good.  Good meals, going up North again, & swell scenery.  Gee, it was good to see the same cities & countryside that I saw on my way down to Camp Croft.  Got off at Philadelphia to change cars because ours developed a flat wheel. 

Boy did that Northern air feel invigorating.  It was nice to see black dirt again instead of the red clay of South Carolina and to see clear rivers & streams instead of the muddy ones of the South.  And the skyline of New York City is just as beautiful especially at this time of day.  Right now we’re traveling through the suburbs of New York.

One thing about traveling now, you know there’s a war on.  You see the factories busy at work & trainloads of tanks & big guns.  Just entered Greenwich, Connecticut.  Should be there in a couple of hours.

Love,  
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment