About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Rolled Packs

Basic training continues.  Ben compliments Arnette, his sister, on her new position in the sorority.  Life goes on back home.

Camp Croft, SC
September 14, 1943  
Monday

Hi Folks,
Had another easy day today, even if I did get up at 3:45.  That was another example of the Army’s efficiency.  All we did was stand & sit & wait for a few hours before we fired.  In fact, I think it was around nine o’clock.  A classic example of the inefficiency though is our packs.  We’re always rolling them one way and then the order will come thru to roll them a different way.  That’s exactly what happened this weekend, only we must have rolled them about five different times.  First a heavy field pack, then a light pack, then heavy & finally the combat pack (raincoat only.)

We only fired for practice this morning and boy, I’ll need plenty of practice if I want to shoot accurately.  That little gun jumps all over the place. After we fired a few times, we came back, ate and waited around the barracks for a couple of hours for the doctor who gives us a periodic physical checkup.  Then we went out for an hour and a half of instruction in the assembling & disassembling of the B.A.R (Browning Automatic Rifle) which we’re taking up next.

Then most of us had a little grass detail for about 1/2 hour.  Before I forget, send me a couple of pairs of underwear about size 32.  I think I can squeeze into them now.  Also couple of T-shirts.  Some of mine didn’t come back from the laundry & I don’t know how long it’ll be before I get them back.  Also send some adhesive tape & Tootsie Rolls.

I see where Arnette was elected Corresponding Secretary.  What was she last year, Publicity?  Well, anyhow, I know the girls can depend on her to do a good job.  That’s all for now.
Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment