About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Combat Course

Ben really appreciates the (P.X.) Post Exchange, a store on the base for soldiers.    Among other items he could buy a copy of “Life” magazine which was a very popular magazine filled with photos of the world.  Here he refers to his sister, Ruth, and his brother, Bob, who both work in the family deli store.


September 2, 1943
Camp Croft, South Carolina  
Thursday

Hello Folks,
Well the seventh week is almost over and time passes so quickly we hardly realize we’ve been here almost two months.  It doesn’t seem so long ago that we had our first hike & were so confused by all the commands.  We’re pretty used to all that now.  It’s just monotonous.

Still been shooting this week.  Tuesday it was stationary targets at ranges that we would have to guess at & then set our sights accordingly.  Wednesday was horizontal, climbing, diving, & overhead moving targets.  They’re hard as hell to hit.  Today we went thru a combat course.  That is walking along a path & targets would spring up unexpectedly & we’d shoot in a split second.  Tomorrow night is a little hike & practice in setting up tents in the dark.  That ought to be fun.

The weather here has been decidedly different the past two days.  In fact, it’s actually been cold in the morning.  Even had to sleep under the covers.  Something I haven’t done in a long time.  But we all loved it.  Reminds us of the weather up North. 

Had K.P. yesterday, again.  From 5 A.M. until 9:25 P.M.  I wish I hadn’t had it, not that the work was hard, cause it wasn’t, but because I eat too much.  And I was feeling so good because I lost some weight during range week.  All day long, we were eating strawberry preserve sandwiches. (You may not think it’s much, but it’s a treat to us).  We also had some cantaloupes that the cook gave us.  Besides the ones that we hooked, also hooked a cucumber.  Tasted swell, even without salt.  And being on K.P. we eat first & naturally can have all we want, so we take advantage of the opportunity.  Had macaroni & cheese for supper.  Was very good but not half as good as what Mom makes.  I saved that melon until tonite & went over to the Beer Garden & ate it a la carte.  Yum, Yum.

Say, you can include “Life” in the packages because I don’t always find time to get over to the P.X. before they’re sold out.  But don’t send it until you’re all thru with it, cause I don’t want it for the current news, but just for some interesting picture stories.  I just finished tonite catching up on the newspapers.

So the city waits until I get into the Army before they repair Plymouth Ave.  Dad probably remembers how I used to go home by a different route rather than ride on that noisy street.  Say, Ruth, are you driving yet?  You said you were going to learn again.  What with the pleasure ban lifted, you ought to get plenty of driving in.  Tell Dad that if he doesn’t need the car, too bad, to just ship it down here.  I’ll take care of the rest.  Say, what’s happening with Bob?  Is he going to wait until Ruth takes her vacation or what?

Speaking of vacations.  I’m sure that both Mom & Dad hated to get back to the ?XX?lT blankety blank store after spending such a swell time at Camp Yungvelt.  Well, I’m writing this letter on the steps because lights are out, but before I close, I want to wish Mom & Dad a very happy wedding anniversary.  And I know there will be many more to come.  Even though you’ve had your little quarrels, you’ve stuck together for 28 years.  Well, I guess that’s all for tonite.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment