About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Rifle Positions

Bob is Ben’s brother and Marion will become his sister-in-law.  Concerned about his parents hard work in the deli, Ben reassures them that it’s okay to take some leisure time.

July 29, 1943
Camp Croft, South Carolina.
Wed. Noon

Dear Folks,
I just received a few letters from you after not getting any since Sunday.  I also received a letter from Marion.  Very interesting about your leisure time.  To heck with a few dollars less.  You’ve got to conserve your strength.

The weather here has been pretty good for the past few days & the work hasn’t been too hard either.  Had another hike last night.  They don’t bother us half as much now.  I won’t be needing a radio because we have one up & down & that’s enough.

I don’t think Mom should write the Chaplain about my tonsils.  When I have time I might go on sick call & have them examined but the whole thing is that I don’t want to miss work.  Glad to hear about Bob getting away & hope he gets a good job.  Also hope it won’t place too much of an inconvenience on you folks left home.  And what’s Marion going to do?  I’m also glad to know that Mom & Pop will be able to get away for a few days at least. Getting ready to move out....

Wed. nite.....As you probably noticed, I finished in rather a hurry.  We all had to rush to a very exhausting afternoon.  Lying in the sun practicing rifle positions - the most uncomfortable position you can imagine, but in the end- the most steady positions for firing a rifle.  Just got back from rifle inspection & think I’ll spend a couple of hours at the P.X. & at the fights. Well that’s all for now. 

Regards to everybody, 
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment