About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Furlough

Link over to the website to see the 1943 musical trailer of “This Is the Army,” a movie Ben mentions here.   Two actors in this film became famous politicians - President Ronald Reagan and Senator George Murphy.  When Ben mentions the Times, he is referring to the evening Times-Union newspaper in Rochester, NY.  In those days, Gannett published morning and evening editions.  The morning Democrat and Chronicle survives.

Camp Croft, South Carolina
September 26, 1943    
Saturday

Hi Folks,
Well, it’s the same old excuse again.  There just isn’t anything new to write about.  The same old routine everyday.  We’ve been having a lot of physical training & drilling lately.  But they’re making it more interesting.  Instead of the old common marching formations, we’ve been doing fancy ones.  They’re not supposed to teach them to us, but they do to break the monotony.  I don’t need the toilet articles bag.  I don’t even use the apron type because all our stuff is laid out neatly in our locker (ha ha) & I just grab what I need & run down to the latrine.

I saw “This is the Army” the other night.  I thought it was pretty swell.  Don’t think about me getting a furlough, cause if I don’t happen to get one, you won’t be disappointed.  I doubt myself whether I’ll get one.

Did my subscription run out for the Times?  I haven’t gotten the paper for the past week.  Well, that’s all I can think of.  I hope I have some definite news to tell you in the next letter.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment