About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

The Party

The Battalion dinner, enjoyed by all, was a great success.

Camp Croft, SC
September 16, 1943
Wednesday

Hello Folks,
Received your package yesterday and, as usual was very glad to get it, especially the plums.

Yesterday morning was spent on the machine gun range.  Although I didn’t make expert, I did make lst class gunner, which is next highest.  I’m not offering this as an excuse, but it was pretty hard to shoot the machine gun accurately, especially with the worn out guns that we have here.  They’ve got too much play in them (where it’s attached to the tripod) & they jump all over.  We were shooting at a 1000 inch range which isn’t far, at a square about 1 1/2” x 1 1/2”.  The target looked like this. __________ I could have made expert, with the aid of a 30 cal. pencil, but after thinking it over, I thought that two different medals would look better than just one, so.....

I had to interrupt this letter to go to the start of our beer party, which every company has before the end of the cycle.  We just had the meal & was it delicious.  They’re clearing the tables now & then we’ll go back for the fun.  If I’m able, I’ll write about it later.

Tell Dad to give my regards to everyone in N.Y. , when he gets there.  I haven’t anything definite as to what we’re going to do for the Jewish holiday.  We talked with the head chaplain & he said he’d let us know.  If I go to town this weekend, I’ll try to see if I can get some cards.  If I can’t I’ll let you know so you can send me some & also a list of people I should send them to.  (Buffalo, N.Y. & all points).

Just got back from the party.  Had a helluva lot of fun.  Singing, drinking, impersonations, jokes, etc.  Our officers were there & they joined in the fun. It was just like in school when you impersonate your teachers.  They laughed just as hard.  Well, that’s about all,

Love, 
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment