About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Human Body

Ben requests a dictionary to use when he writes his letters.  To read a funny story about "Targets Up" click on Ben's sign-off to transfer to the link on his web site.
August 17, 1943
Camp Croft, South Carolina  
Monday

Dear Folks,
Well, it seems as if I was wrong about range week being all over.  Today we went to a range somewhat nearer our barracks than the other range, where we shot the .22 rifle.  In the morning we shot at landscape targets.  That is, pictures of the countryside painted on the target frames  We would all line up & count off.  Then we proceeded as we would do in actual battle. 

The squad leaders give the order - 350 yards - right front -  Enemy machine gun nest at base of third telephone pole from right  of barn - Commence firing - or it could be an enemy skirmish line between lone pine on right of barn to 2nd telephone pole.  It’s just practice in everybody concentrating on one point & also, in the case of the skirmish line, everybody firing in his own particular section so that the entire enemy line is covered & not just in spots.  In the afternoon we fired at targets pulled along above the ground.  That was to learn to take leads.

Say, how about sending me a small size dictionary, not that I would ever use it when writing home, knowing that you don’t care, but I might use it when writing other letters.

Well to get back to more range.  Tomorrow, we’re going to a range farther than the one we were on last week & have transition fire, shooting at targets resembling the Human Body.  Still rumors flying around about basic coming to an end because most of the non-coms are shipping out & some from Panama are replacing them.  Well, I’ve got to go sign the pay roll.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment