About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

How to Kill

Ben’s been in the Army almost 3 weeks.

July 16, 1943
Fri. Nite

Dear Folks:
Since I’ve cleaned my rifle, taken a shower, shined my shoes, been to the P.X., and glanced through my “Life,” I might as well take this chance to write you.  Tomorrow is the big day for inspection.  We have to make up our beds a certain way & everything has to be extra clean.  I hear we are getting up at 4 in the morning to prepare for it.  It’s rained for the last two nites here & it’s been raining all evening tonite, so it’s been pretty cool in the morning (by cool I don’t mean the same as it gets in Rochester.  There we call it warm, but here it’s cool.  It’s just cloudy). 

We had a pretty easy day yesterday.  Except for a little drilling we were in the cool forest listening to a class on map reading and the operation of the M-1 rifle (Gerand).  We had a brief exercise in the morning & did my legs ache when I got up this morning.  They must have realized it because they didn’t make us carry packs.  But as soon as we got over to our drill field we had some terrific exercises.  Now, I can hardly walk.  Tell Bob to limber up in his 3-week furlough (The lucky dog).

I’ve washed some of my laundry already because they didn’t take it to be cleaned like they’re supposed to do.  They take $1.50 a month out of our pay regardless if we send anything to the laundry or not.  They also take out two months insurance this first month, also bonds.  We also have to keep our hair down to one inch.  That means a haircut every one or two weeks.  To add to that, I think I’m a little reckless with my money in the P.X.  I’ve eaten my last two suppers there besides candy, gum, ice cream, pop, towels, & other necessary equipment.  I’ve only got $16 left.  Today we saw first of a series of pictures on “Why We Fight.”  Very good propaganda.  Makes you want to fight like hell.  It traced the rise of the dictatorship.  Just what they taught us in school, only more interesting in picture form.  This is new system as they used to do this by lecturing.  We also had drill in gas masks & different kinds of gas.  We’re always having talks on every subject under the sun.  For instance we had instruction on how to kill a man with the palm of the hand & also with the bayonet.
   
You’ve probably read that propaganda in the papers & magazines about U.S Army getting at least a pint of milk a day.  Yeah, they get it -- at the P.X.  We didn’t have any milk today, not even for breakfast.  Had to eat cereal dry.  Look at that advertisement in “Life” about the food the boys overseas get.  It’s better than what we get.  But I shouldn't complain.  The Mess Sarge said it was better than dog food, although the hash we had today looked like something Dad mixes for the cat.  By the way, has she had kittens yet?
   
My sunburn is OK - It was all better before I left Upton although it started to peel here.  I’m not getting a tan here except on my hands because we have to wear fatigues & helmet liners (just like the real fighting helmets, they fit over the liners) at all times.  And I wear my sun glasses at all times, too.  I’d be lost without them.  I asked my Sarge & he said he never heard of the Army giving sunglasses.  By the way I’ve got a swell Sarge who really knows his stuff & a couple of swell corporals.  The Lieutenant is really fine too.  I wish I could take a picture all dressed up with pack, bayonet, rifle, etc, but no cameras are allowed.
   
If Mom’s worried about my drinking tell her not to worry.  I haven’t drunk any beer since I’ve been in the Army, I haven’t smoked a cigarette & I haven’t been in a card game.  Tell Arnette if she & Bill get married, not to get a farm down South.  It’s too darn hot.  We’re always dozing off during lectures.
   
Boy, I certainly am glad I’m away from the hectic store life although I feel sorry for you poor folks.  It’s almost as hard a life as the Army.  I’ve written Grandma but not to the customers.  I just can’t find time.  Explain for me.
About reading matter, I won’t have time to read comics so you don’t have to send them.  Since “Life” only costs a dime I can buy that.  I’ll probably find time to read on Sundays.  Boy, I’d like to read a Rochester paper.  I buy a New York News sometimes but I’m not interested in international & national news.
   
About the watch, I haven’t anyway to check it accurately although it runs swell.  I’m afraid this damn weather is going to ruin it though.  I was wearing it on my wrist & sweat got in somehow & acted on the radium hands a little.  I leave it in my pocket during the day now.  The sweat also turned my hand black under the band so I bought a cloth band tonite.
   
We have lites out at 10:00 PM & “Hit the Floor” at 5:00 am.  If you don’t get up, you get tipped out.  Haven’t met any French generals although a Brigadier General came around today to observe us.

I’ve been talking to a lot of fellows & they don’t seem to look too bad for having been here 13 weeks.  All day we can hear the machine guns & dynamite exploding along that obstacle course.  It’s not too tough, so they say.  The only thing I don’t like is that the Infantry course is the hardest Basic & if you happen to flunk out & not go to college, they put you in the Infantry.  I’m caught both ways. I don’t feel like studying all nite & I don’t want to be a 2nd Louie.  They have to know too darn much.
   
We’ve got quite a lot of Southern boys here & they’re fighting the Civil War over again.  We have a lot of fun with them & their drawl.  There’s one fellow who’s really a Rhett Butler - Handsome hair, teeth, features - 2 years military school, swell personality, knows quite a lot although he’s only 19 but he looks about 24.  Very handsome.  Well, lites out in 2 minutes, so...

Love                               
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment