About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Letter from Rabbi

How heartwarming it must have been for Ben’s mother to have received such a gracious letter from the Jewish Chaplain.  

OFFICE OF THE JEWISH CHAPLAIN
EIGHTH REGIMENTAL CHAPEL
CAMP CROFT, SOUTH CAROLINA

July 13, 1943
Dear Mrs. Kaplow

I had the pleasure of seeing your son Benjamin at the Jewish religious services last Sunday morning.

I want you to know that we are anxious to be of assistance to him in every way possible, to make his stay here pleasant and comfortable and of the greatest value to himself as well as to the Army.

If at any time you think that we can be of help to him, please feel free to write to this office.  If you should visit Camp Croft, I shall be happy to have you favor me with a personal call.

With kindest regards, I am

Very sincerely yours

David Max Eichhorn
Chaplain

No comments:

Post a Comment