About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Mustard Gas

Included in this letter is Ben’s story of exposure to Mustard Gas, etc.   Could his exhaustion have been a result of this poison gas exposure?  World War 11 Vets were used in research with poison gases.

July 19, 1943
Camp Croft, S.C.
Sunday

Dear Folks,
The one day of the week when I can sleep late & I still wake up early in the morning & can’t get back to sleep.  And I’m soooooo tired.  The Army’s getting me in a rut.

I was going to go to services this morning, like I did last Sunday, but the Jewish chapel is on the other side of camp practically.  It’s a 20 minute walk in the broiling sun & when we do get there, we’re bothered by the flies that fly in the open window.  I haven’t had a chance to go to Friday night services because I’ve been on detail, but I may get a chance sometime.

Today, I think I’ll answer my pile of correspondence, get a couple of hours sleep, go to the Service Club (it’s about one and a half miles & I haven’t been there yet) and then come back & go to the theater & see “Dixie.”  I’m hoping “Stage Door Canteen” will come back soon.  Last night I went into town but I was so darn tired I came back early.  I’ve told you before, join the Army and you see and do everything.  I had to be in the Army before I took my first taxi ride.  Yep, I took a taxi to & from town.  It costs more but it’s worth it not having to wait & wait & then be squashed to death.  The only drawback is, we have to walk further to the taxi stand.

I took my watch to a jewelry store & got some strap pins.  The others had rusted & one came out.  Guess what it cost?  Fifty cents for 2 little pins.  They didn’t have any radium hands, so I guess I’m out of luck.  See if you can get any in Rochester & how long it would take to get it fixed.  Otherwise the watch runs swell.  As far as I know it runs without gaining & without slowing down.  You really need a watch in the Army because everything is run on a tight schedule.
Yesterday it was 109 degrees or hotter & we had to go through the gas chamber.  First we ran through 4 gases in the open field.  Mustard Gas, Lewintin, Phosgene, Chlorine Pictron (I don’t know if those are spelled right.)  Then we went into the chamber with our mask on, took it off & had to walk out.  Boy that tear gas burned especially where we sweat.  Then we ran in without the mask, had to stop & put it on.  I never put it on so fast in my life.  We also had a 2 hour lecture in the sun on the effects, aftereffects & what to do for it.  They sure do have good equipment for combat.  Capes that fit right over you.  Impregnatic clothes that gas won’t penetrate.  Best gas mask in the world, too.

We’ve also been having practice in throwing dummy hand grenades.  I’ve just thought of something else in connection with the gas chamber.  We had to march to & from it around noon when it was hottest.  We were sweating like hell & it was tickling our faces.  And when we’re marching we can’t move a hand or face.  Even if you sneeze, you can’t take out a handkerchief.  Well, anyway, we went up & down a couple of hills & cross country, too.  I would rather have gone through the gas chamber (bad as it was there) more than have gone on that little jaunt.  And we’re having our first hike this week.  Woe is me.

I get good mail service here.  You mailed a letter Thursday night & I got it Saturday noon.  They’re holding mail call outside now.  I wonder if I’ll get any mail.  I hope so.  Your package arrived the same time Saturday & was it welcome.  Those cookies, candy, & other stuff sure came in handy.  The next time, send a few oranges.  I like to eat them at night.  Some fellows just got some packages of food.  We won’t go hungry.  About the money, I don’t think I will need any, even though I am getting low.  I may want $5 of my $35 just to be on the safe side.  But I don’t need it now, maybe in a week or so.  Well, I guess I’ll close now.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment