About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Village Fighting

In this letter, Ben writes: “ Someday this week the whole company is going swimming as part of the training.”   This innocent statement shows his willingness, but in his November 5, 1943 letter, Ben talks about “a close escape from death.”   Swimming was not for him.

August 30, 1943      
Camp Croft, South Carolina
Monday

Hi Folks
Just a short line tonite, just to let you know this Army life isn’t too tough for me.  In fact I think all our tough stuff is over with.  We were talking with the Chaplain on the last hike (yep, he marched along, too) & he said the reason we had our village fighting & infiltration in our 8th week instead of our 11th week was just to clear the required training in case the A.S.T.P. (Army Specialized Training Program) called the fellows to college early.  That is no guarantee that everyone will go to college or that the cycle will be shorter.  He said it would be a 17 week cycle while our Sarge & Lieutenant said it was a 13 week.  I should have some more news on the A.S.T.P. this week, but with those limited choices, I don’t know where I stand. 

This week we’re taking up mortars.  All we did all day was practice setting it up & taking it down & using the sight.  And that reminds me.  Guess who made the sight.  B.&L. (Bausch & Lomb) of good old Rochester & I let everybody know it.  What a feeling to know that you’re using something made in your own city.  We had a team of 5 guys & 2 guys were working at a time.  Very, very, tough time.  We had to lay on our stomachs practically all the time.  Must have fallen asleep 15-20 times.  So you can see how tough it was.  It was probably one of the easiest days we’ve had.

Someday this week the whole company is going swimming as part of the training.  We’re having it pretty easy lately.  Getting more rest periods.  We have a lot of fun at Camp.  Lot of little incidents that keep us amused.  Like today.  We marched about 1/4 mile from our drill area for some practical work in map reading.  Find out we forgot to bring compasses.  So we spent the whole hour telling jokes.

Last nite we set up an obstacle course in the barracks after lites out.  We pushed some foot lockers out in the aisle & put crackers in the beds of the fellows that weren’t in yet.  It was funny as he(ll) when they bumped into them all the way down the aisle.  One kid fell flat on his puss, & what a noise those lockers make.  Like a cannon.  We were laughing till the beds nearly fell down.

Excuse the hurried writing but I want to make the U.S.O. show at the Amphitheater’s Hollywood Gaieties with girls - girls - girls & girls.  Well, goodbye for now.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment