About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Many ASTP Tests

Ben was impressed with the little town of Spartanburg having two radio stations and two newspapers.

July 15, 1943
Camp Croft, S.C.   
Wednesday night

Dear Folks:

Before I continue with the general news of my Army life, I want to wish Arnette & Bill the best of everything.  Tell my future brother-in-law that he’s getting nothing but the best in Arnette.  I’m sure that peace & happiness will always throng the path of their life.  I bet Dad is mighty pleased, as we all are, but it looks as if he’s finally going to have a farmer in the family.

Now, more about the A.S.T.P. (Army Specialized Training Program).  I was a little misinformed about this program before, but today we had the first of many A.S.T.P. tests.  They told us that some would not go to college if they didn’t get good scores on the tests & if they didn’t come out good on a personal interview.  They also said that even if we went to college, there are only a very limited amount going to O.C.S.  Previous, everybody with a score over 115 went to O.C.S.  So they’re tightening up.
   
Well, as I prophesied in the record, I had K.P. today - 15 hours of it.  This kitchen here is smaller & isn’t as rushed as the one at Upton & they aren’t as strict on the cleanup.  We had more time to goldbrick, too.  But it was still very tiring.  Right now I’m sitting in bed listening to a radio that one of the kids got sent to him.  Very, very good.  I just found out that little Spartanburg (35,000) is the third largest city in S. Carolina & it’s just a little burg.  It’s got two radio stations & two papers though.

I’m sorry for Bob’s sake that his eyes aren’t good enough for the Army, but I know they don’t handicap him in his work, so everything is OK.  Is he going to get a job or devote his time to the work a manager?

Thurs Nite......Didn’t have time to finish last nite.  Had an easy day today.  Sighting the rifle on a 200 yard range (not with bullets yet), exercises, 3 hour lecture on moving under cover & drilling.  Finally sent laundry.
   
When you send the slippers (for wet floor) send some candy, something like that toffee that you sent, also about 2 pair of wool socks like I got before.  I had to buy more polish & brush & toothbrush & other incidentals today, but we signed payroll yesterday, so we should get paid about the first of the month.  Well, I can’t think of anything else to say, to

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment