About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

In Army two months

The rigor of Basic Training is beginning to get some positive results.

July 30, 1943    
Camp Croft, South Carolina
Thursday night

Dear Folks:
I can’t believe that I’ve got the night off again, but I have.  I hardly know what to do with myself.  I should go to sleep just to get in condition, but I’m not sleepy like I used to be.  Must be I’m getting used to this Army life.

This whole morning was spent in camouflage demonstrations.  Very interesting & necessary.  This afternoon we had compass, drill & the obstacle course again.  It was easier this time but I’ve still got to work on my jumping over a hurdle with one hand.  It started to rain like hell just when we were ready to go home, but as usual, it was very hard & brief.

I probably won’t write tomorrow night because I hear we’re going on a night demonstration, but I can’t find out what it is. That “U” that you spoke about.  His name is Hugh.  Yeah, I know he’s down there.  He’s in the Navy - England.

About the time passing down here.  When we’re out in the field during the day, the time passes, sorta slow, but at the end of the week, we all notice that the weeks are passing very rapidly.  It doesn’t seem as if I’ve been in the Army a month, but I guess I have.  From Saturday night till Monday morning is when time passes the quickest though.  If possible, send some peaches or fruit in next week’s package.

Love
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment