About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Caught Hell

Commando Kelly was a highly decorated war hero.

Camp Croft, SC
September 17, 1943     
Sunday

Dear Folks,
Sorry I didn’t write during the past week, but even when I had the time, I was too busy scratching my chigger bites.

As is the natural procedure with the Y.D. (Yankee Division), we moved out on our own time, leaving Sunday around 10:00 A.M.  It was a beautifully hot day.  Just the type that is so enjoyable for a drive in the country.  So what do we do?  We hiked for 4 1/2 miles and then were picked up by trucks which took us the rest of the way.  Once there, we had the rest of the day to ourselves, after we dug our slit trench.  But that was easy.  The ground was sandy & it was possible to dig it with only one hand.

Monday I was on duty.  The events that happened that day made me feel lower than I’ve ever felt.  It was a hot day, & since everyone had gone out training, I decided to take off my shirt & get a little sun tan.  About 15 minutes later, a warrant officer from Regimental comes along inspecting.  And did he find things wrong.  Me and a runner had our shirts off, another runner was reading a paper, the slit trenches around Message Center weren’t camouflaged too good, & a few other things. 

Then things began to pop.  This fellow turned in his report to the Regimental Executive Officer, who promptly called up my Battalion Commanding Officer & bawled him out.  The Colonel then came down to Message Center & gave me hell.  Next my own Company Commander bawled me out.  Then my platoon leader came down & wanted to know what the trouble was.  Well you can imagine how I felt after all that.  I thought I’d be thrown out of Message Center in a minute, but I’m still in, until something else happens.

Tuesday, I went thru the Woods Combat Course.  It’s just what the name implies, advancing thru the woods & firing at silhouette targets.  In the afternoon I went thru the Nazi Village Fighting.  It’s similar to the one we had at Camp Croft.  Rushing & taking over a small town.  Wednesday I fired the Anti-tank grenade.  Wow, what a kick that has.  Then I fired the bazooka.  What a difference.  It’s more effective and no kick at all.

Thursday, we threw some live grenades.  I slept the rest of the day cause I worked the nite before.  The 1st Sergeant made me go out & throw grenades, but after that I hid on him so he couldn’t make me go on any other courses.

Friday, we heard Commando Kelly & that Indian Lieutenant who threw rocks in place of grenades.  Kelly is alright.  He speaks our language & gave us a lot of interesting facts.  That nite, those of us who had missed the 25 mile hike, marched back to camp.  It was a cool nite, thank God.   We arrived in camp at 0700, after marching for eight hours.  That about finishes up everything I have to say.  I have plenty of letters to answer, so....

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment