About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Sunday Rest

Ben wrote three times on July 26th.  This is the first letter.   

July 26, 1943
Spartanburg,S.C. - posted 11 a.m.
Sunday

Dear Folks,
Well Sunday has finally come and I’m going to take full advantage of it.  Right now, I’m lying in bed writing this letter & I expect to sleep for a coupla more hours.  I haven’t the ambition to write letters like I did last Sunday when I wrote about ten.  After I wash some clothes, get a haircut & eat, I think I’ll go to town for a few hours & then come back & see “Stormy Weather.”  I was going into town last nite but I took a shower & fell asleep on top of the bed until it was too late.  So I went to the P.X. for a half-hour.

Perhaps you’re wondering why I’m so tired.  Aside from the regular daily training, we haven’t had a single nite off this week.  Monday was a 3 1/2 hike.  Tuesday was window washing & grass planting, Wednesday was guard.  Thursday was “floor show” and Friday nite we went on a 7-8 mile hike.  You’re probably wondering why a 3 1/2 & 7 mile hike should tire anyone out.  But when you’re wearing a pack, gas mask, rifle belt, bayonet, & God darn rifle (my best friend) & you walk along an unimproved, rutted, rocky, hilly, dirt road, it’s not a pleasure.  And in my sixth week, we’ll be walking that road every day when we go out to the range.  Then we’ll get up at 4:00 and get back about 10 at nite.

And to top that off, I got a letter from Alphonse down in Camp Stewart, Ga. in A.A.A.  He said he’s been on a couple of hikes, both about two miles & one time they had to carry rifles with their packs.  And they were so tired.  When I told  the boys about that, did we have a laugh.  Can you imagine, 2 miles!

Your pkg arrived Saturday & everything was in perfect condition.  Dad sure is a swell packer.  Everything was delicious too.  That cheese & bread hit the spot. And that peanut candy, send more of that.  Also send more undershirts.  (They sure get dirty fast.  Yesterday we had a little Ju Jitsu, and everybody had red clay all over their backs.)  Also if possible send a few Florida oranges with the California’s. The crackers were the only things that were broken but they were eaten anyhow.  Say, you time the packages just right, too.  They arrive on Sat. & that’s just when I want them, rather than during the week when I haven’t much time. The last couple of days have been pretty good here.  Although it was awful hot in the sun, there was a nice breeze in the shade.  Well, I can’t think of anything else to write, so I’ll go back to sleep.

As ever, 
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment