About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

15 Mile Hike

Everybody’s preparing for a change in the weather after a very hot South Carolina summer.

Camp Croft, SC   
September 13, 1943
Sunday

Hi Folks,
How’s the weather in Rochester?  It’s cold down here, at least in the morning and at nite.  Everybody’s wearing their winter underwear at night & this morning, just for the heck of it, we were trying on our winter clothes.  My winter flannels are a bit small, but with more than a month to go before I start wearing them, I might possibly lose some weight.  At least I should. 
 Last Friday nite we went on a 15 mile hike.  Boy, I didn’t think my feet would ever get accustomed to hiking but although they were tired, they didn’t hurt as much as the 6 mile hike when I was walking on the side of my feet.  Tomorrow, we go on the machine gun range.  They’ve got the same racket about scores too.   It’s just to please our Battalion Commander.
How about sending me about 6 buttons, black or brown, about this size  (Ben draws the size).  Please send them right away in a letter.  Also send a box of Jeep notes.  Well, I can’t think of anything else, so _ _ _ _ _ _.
Love, 
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment