About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Automatic Rifles

B.A.R.’s are  Browning Automatic Rifles.  The training is getting more and more serious.  Here soldiers learn how to infiltrate enemy lines.

September 5, 1943    
Camp Croft, South Carolina
Sunday

Hi Folks, 
Boy, I can just imagine the excitement Tuesday when Bob was getting ready to leave.  I can hardly wait to hear what’s going to happen.  I guess Ruth will have to learn to drive again, or has she already?  Well, you won’t have to eat spaghetti every nite now.  Speaking of food, yesterday our squad was table waiters.  And did we have a delicious meal.  Everything was cooked perfectly & we had jello & fruit cocktail mixed.  And being table waiters we got all we wanted.  We get plenty of butter here at camp, but if he finds some kids wasting it, he holds out on it for a meal or two.

Yesterday, we had a Regimental Parade.  There wasn’t much to it.  We marched in Company formation instead of by Platoon.  There were about 4,000 men in all.  We just marched up to the field, stood at attention & Parade Rest (which is no rest, but another form of attention) while they marched with the colors & a band played.  Then we did a few Manual of Arms & then passed in review.  Last week, we had a Battalion Parade with about 1,000 men.

Yes, I’m still keeping up my correspondence with Bill, & he has got a gal.  His last letter was all about her.  Her nickname is Cherry, she’s beautiful & she’s part Indian.  About my social life, I haven’t any.  The Jewish U.S.O. never holds any dances & I haven’t been to town on Saturday nite recently. I’m going to town today for a steak dinner.  Haven’t had one in a long time.  I’m also going to take in Bob Hope’s picture, I forgot the name.

Gee, I almost forgot to tell you what we did Friday nite.  We infiltrated thru the enemy lines.  It was another tactical problem.  The enemy was simulating machine guns (with flashlights) and B.A.R.’s (with red flashlights) & also used flares.  It took us about an hour & half.  It was a very practical problem & very interesting.  We have been taught all this stuff and now we are using it.  Well this is about all for now.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment