About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

10 Girls at Dance

Ben wrote three times on July 26th  -  This is the second letter.

July 26, 1943
Camp Croft - posted 11:30 a.m.
Sunday afternoon

Dear Folks,

As I wrote in the letter this morning, I thought I would go into town but I went to get a haircut (gee, they cut it lousy this time) & had to wait some time & so I decided not to go.  I think I’ll spend a coupla hours on letters, then eat supper at the Service Club.  They serve leftovers in our Mess Hall on Sunday nite.

Arnette’s account of her operation was very interesting.  Perhaps I’ll go thru with it soon.  Yes, Ida is the girl I took out.  That June Norman is cute, isn’t she.  I didn’t know her personally, but had noticed her around school.  Say, I just noticed that both Ruth’s & Arnette’s letters were mailed 9:30 Thur. Nite, but I got Ruth’s Sat Noon & Arnette’s, Sun Noon.  Queer isn’t it.

About the slippers, they fit all rite but maybe when these wear out, you had better send a pair of ropies because of the wet floor & I would be able to wear them rite in the shower.  I don’t think I’ll be needing any dress shirts.  I have 3 & the only time I wear them is at retreat & on weekends.

Perhaps I didn’t mention it before, but there was a dance in our Rec Hall last Tuesday.  After detail I went up, looked in, turned around & went home.  They had 10 girls for a whole battalion.  The girls would only dance two steps before someone would cut in on them. 

Well, I’ve got to write some more letters.  About seven of them.  Got a letter from G. Coleman.  Hear he’s going home on furlough & then to sea.  From his letter, I can tell that he’s homesick.  I’d like to be home to see you folks but I’m not real homesick.  Perhaps in October I will be home, I hope.    (Send more jeep notes.)

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment