About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

35th Infantry

COMPANY “B”, 35th INFANTRY TRAINING BATTALION - 15TH CYCLE
ANNIVERSARY DINNER
Camp Croft, SC
September 15, 1943      

This is not a letter. It is a recognition of the men who trained with Ben at Camp Croft.  Click on Ben’s name below to view the eight pages of names of soldiers in Company “B.”   Their names are listed at a banquet dinner which is held at the end of every training cycle.   In his September 16th letter, he describes the good time had by all.

The 15th Cycle anniversary pages are placed here so that viewers can read the names of those who attended.   Names of soldiers might be recognized by some family members.  Our brave soldiers not knowing what will come next.

William R. Zander, on the list, was also from Rochester.  Ben mentions meeting him later in Europe. 

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment