About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

U. Conn

Civilians and soldiers help to fund the war effort by buying war bonds.  Finally, Ben will be going to the University of Connecticut’s ASTP school.

Camp Croft Envelope   
October 2nd, 1943
8:30 AM

Hello Folks:
Take a good long look at the return address of this letter, cause it’s probably the last time you’ll ever see it.  From now on, all my mail will be postmarked from Conn. (at least for a coupla weeks).  I’m going to the U. Of Conn. which is located, from what I’ve heard, in the jerk town of Storrs, somewhere near Hartford.  We’re leaving Monday.  I think it’s going to be worse than basic training.

Well the same old mail situation is here again.  I’m way behind in my correspondence.  I got about 6 letters yesterday, including one from Bob & Madeline.  I hope I have time on the train.

I hope you had a nice New Year’s.  As I told you on the phone, we came in the night before for the starting services, but we came in too late.  But next morning we went to chapel (that’s what they call it in the Army).  That service was Conservative.  We also went Thursday night & the morning (the whole morning).  These services were Orthodox.  I don’t whether I’m going tonight or not cause we’ll be pretty busy getting our equipment ready to turn in & having show down inspections (which are a pain in the neck) of all the equipment issued to us.

Got both boxes & they sure disappeared fast.  That was O.K. about buying the bond.  That’s what I wanted done with it but forgot to write you.  The Colonel gave us a talking to about buying bonds & practically everyone did buy one.  I got paid today but haven’t decided how much to send home.  Probably won’t be able to send home as much when I’m in college.  Cost of living will go up with no P.X.  Bob’s letters sure are interesting aren’t they.  Say fix up the watch until it’s perfect even to new hands.  Use my extra money.

Love,  
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment