About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

"Camel Caravan"

In the Army four months, Ben begins using a pipe rather than cigarettes most soldiers smoked.  Here he asks for pipe tobacco.  The R. J. Reynolds cigarette company provided entertainment for the soldiers with their “Camel Caravan” shows. 

Camp Croft, SC
September 22, 1943     
Tuesday

Dear Folks,
I don’t know why I’m writing tonite cause I’ve got nothing to write about & no time to write it in cause I’m going to see the Camel Caravan.  The weather was still rainy today.  They’ve started the furnace fire in the barracks, but we don’t really need it during the day.

The latest rumor is that we’re going to the NorthEast part of the U. S.  No confirmation but I hope it’s true.  How about sending me that underwear?  Also send some mixture 79 pipe tobacco.  About two - 30 cent packages.  You can only get it in Litz’s Cigar Store.  It’s near Liggett’s on Clinton Avenue.  That’s all I can think of.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment