About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Tennessee Maneuvers

In the Army three months, Ben’s platoon has completed the famed Tennessee Maneuvers.  Ben’s first sentence is to the tune of “By the Light of the Silvery Moon” song.  There is a link to the Fats Waller version on the website.

Tennessee Maneuvers
Saturday Nite,  25th

By the light...... of the flickering candle..... I sit and write....... to you folks back home.  Yes, indeed, it’s your little son once again, from the hills and valleys of Tennessee, writing to you from under a blanket of stars, letting you know that Maneuvers are finally over with.  The last problem ended last Thursday.  It was a beautiful week and a beautiful problem.  We were in Corps reserves, so we were behind the lines, only moving twice, by trucks.  What a grand feeling when we knew that the problem was over with.

Friday, we traveled 90 miles East, out of the maneuver area.  What a change in the scenery.  No more fields torn up by tanks or trucks.  No more highways littered with C-ration cans.  It was like another State, even with green fields.  At present we are bivouacked in a beautiful area, just like the
spot we had the first week of maneuvers.  It’s a nice little forest, with soft ground, plenty of fire wood, and a small creek about 100 yards away.

We’re just staying here until Wednesday, and then we’re on our way to Fort Jackson.  We’ll probably arrive there by Friday.  And, don’t you think it won’t feel wonderful to know that you have a bed, with mattress, springs, and sheets awaiting you every night.  And a P.X. where we can get ice cream & pop, movies to go to.  It will also mean becoming a Garrison soldier again.  Shoes polished, clothes clean, drill, etc.  But it’s worth it.  Surprisingly enough, I haven’t lost weight like I thought I would.  In fact, I don’t think I’ve lost any weight, but I may have lost a little about the waist.  Can’t think of anything else,

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment