About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Until Victory

Ben is at the University of Connecticut for A.S.T.P. school which is the Army Specialized Training Program.  The website photo from left to right: Mother, Sisters Ruth and Arnette, Brother Bob.  Ben is kneeling.  Grandson, Greg Kaplow, reads this letter on the website.


November 25, 1925

Dear Folks,
Happy, burp, Thanksgiving! burp.

I’ve just come back from a Thanksgiving meal that was delicious.  Turkey, potatoes, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, etc.  It wasn’t as elaborate as I used to get at home, but, it was undoubtedly better than some other soldiers are getting.  I guess I do have a lot to be thankful for.  In fact, I’m not even going to gripe once during this letter.

The package arrived yesterday and was welcomed by all.  The cookies passed inspection with a gold star.  And we really made a feast on that salami and bread.  One of the fellows wasn’t quite sure about the cookies so he wants you to send another batch to double check, if you get what he means.

I hope you had good weather for Thanksgiving.  The weather here is perfect again.  It’s warm again and practically all the snow has melted.  Say, don’t forget to send me some snapshots of the family.  Old ones will do, just anything that I can look at when I feel like it.  Guess I’ve run out of news, so

Until Victory,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment