About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Drafty Dorms

Ben is 18 years old.  He is at the University of Connecticut for A.S.T.P. school which is the  Army Specialized Training Program.  The weather continues to be very cold and windy.  Not the best situation for drafty dorms.  Here’s a post card he wrote.

December 14, 1943
Monday Night
 
Dear Folks,

Well how’s everybody tonight?  I’m still the same here.  The wind has been blowing all day here again, harder than Saturday when it was blowing about 70 miles an hour.  But they sent men around to fix the radiators so they’re not too bad now.   Tell Arnette to buy me a little toilet kit bag.  I think she knows the kind I want, like we saw before I came into the Army.  Send it before Christmas.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment