About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Croix de Guerre

Ben is 18 years old.  He is at the University of Connecticut for the Army Specialized Training Program.  He’s hoping for his first  furlough.  Ben's photo in this letter on the web site is out of order.  We see now that it is really at the time he returns from the war as we learn from his December 2, 1945 letter he writes home, "A few days ago, the 104th was awarded the Croix de Guerre by the French Government.  Another ribbon and a fourragere to wear."  In the photo the fourragere is displayed over the shoulder of his jacket.  The National Museum of American Jewish History confirms that the fourragere is still attached to his jacket.

December 21, 1943
Monday Night
 
Dear Folks, 
At last I can tell you something definite about the Christmas furlough.  I just came back from a talk with the C.O. & he told me that I would be able to get home from Thursday night until Sunday night but wasn’t at all certain about the regular furlough.  I’ll arrive home sometime Thursday night or Friday morning, all depending on what time we get out.

I really feel sorry for our C.O.  As I told you before, he’s a young handsome lst Lieutenant.  But he’s limited service because of something wrong with his eye that can’t be corrected with glasses.  And just recently in the Gilbert invasion, his Dad (a Colonel) was killed while leading his men forward.  I can imagine how he feels when people stare at & wonder what he’s doing up here in the A.S.T.P.

Don’t forget to have some good meals & please don’t faint when you see how fat I am.  I couldn’t help it up here.

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment