About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Ben's photo 2

Ben is 18 years old.  Photos were taken at the University of Connecticut for A.S.T.P. school.  Perhaps the photo Ben selected from the proofs sent home is the one on this site’s home page, however the medals might indicate that it is not.

December 1, 1943
Storrs, Connecticut
Tuesday Night
 
Dear Folks,
I’m sending you these proofs so you can pick out the one you like best.  The ones I like best have an X on the back.  Choose one of the pictures and send them back right away, possibly the same day you receive them.

They won’t be done until about the 22nd of December.  How many big ones do you want?  I was thinking of getting one or two large ones and a dozen small ones.  They all come in frames.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment