About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Typing

Ben asks for ice skates in a testy manner.  The infantry basic training he had at Camp Croft is very different from the training here.

HEADQUARTERS S.C.S.U. 1146
THE UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT
STORRS, CONNECTICUT
December 17, 1943

In reply
refer to:
Kaplow, Benj.

SUBJECT:  Letter home
TO:             The Folks Back Home.

 Perhaps you’re wondering why the typewritten style of letter?  Well, I happen to be C.Q. (Charge of Quarters) tonight.  All it is, is a monotonous job.  I’m on from 5 p.m. until noon tomorrow.  I just sit at the desk in the orderly room and sign the fellows in and out and collect the room check reports from the section leaders.  I was afraid that I was going to have to stay up until 2:30 tonight on account of a Greek Letter Dance, but, luckily I don’t have to.  I’m using this military style cause that’s what we’re taking up in English now.  Thought I’d practice it.

 Everything is going along pretty good.  The weather here has toned down, the restriction is lifted, and the ice is swell for skating!  Say, when are you going to send those skates?  I asked for them two weeks ago.  I would like to get in a little skating before I leave, IF YOU don’t mind!

 I’m not saying that I won’t, but don’t rely too much on my being home for Christmas and the furlough as I planned.  I don’t know anything more about it, but just don’t plan on it.  If I do get home, all well and good.  If I don’t, I’ll be home some other time.
 No, I haven’t heard from Bob in a long while.  So please forward his letters.

 Marion sent me a scarf the early part of the week.  The same day I got a bar of candy from Saks with no card.  Probably from Aunt Anna. That’s about all the news except that I’m getting very sleepy doing nothing.  If you still haven’t sent the skates when you receive this, never mind then.

    Love,
/s/ Ben Kaplow
     Lt. Inf.
     Commanding Platoon (4)

No comments:

Post a Comment