About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Danced

Ben is at the University of Connecticut in the Army Specialized Training Program.     He reports to his sister about the happier time he had on Saturday night in Willimantic, CT. 
 
November 21, 1943
Letter to sister, Ruth
Sunday

Dear Ruth,
Well, I’m writing this letter in a different mood than the one I wrote you last weekend.  I went to Willimantic yesterday and had a swell time.  I saw “Sahara”, which I thought was very good.  Then I went to the U.S.O...... and danced!  Not very much, I admit, cause there wasn’t much time.  Nothing is doing at the U.S.O. before ten o’clock, when the first show lets out, cause practically all the soldiers go to the show.  Then they start piling in.  It gets more crowded each week. 

They had a 5 piece orchestra there for the first time.  I met one of my roommates who can’t dance, but he had his girl, so we danced a couple of dances.  Then they had a Paul Jones, so I got in a few more dances.  Then I met the girlfriend of another roommate who went to Hartford this weekend, and I danced with her. 

But I couldn’t dance with any of them like I can with you.  I guess I’ll have to learn to lead better.  When the dance was over at 12, we went out and had something to eat and drink.  Then we took the girls home.

All in all, I had a swell time, probably the best spent Saturday night since I’ve been here.  But I can still do a lot of improving on myself.

The weather here is beautiful today.  Just like Spring.  I bet you wish you were up here instead of being in the dreary weather Rochester is experiencing.  I was sorry to hear about the package, but it was probably the mishandling of the packages by the Post Office.  When I worked there, I used to see them throw them all over, sometimes missing the basket and hitting the floor.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment