About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Ice Skates

Ben is 18 years old.  He is at the University of Connecticut.  Florence says he’s showing his temper here which was an extremely rare event during their 53 years together.  She wonders if the ice skates ever arrived but they could never replace Ben’s love for his mother’s cooking.  Besides if Ben is stationed in the south after his furlough, he won't be using skates.e,
December 21, 1943
Monday

Dear Folks, 
Well, how’s everything with you.  Right now I would like some advice.  What do I have to do for you to send me the ice skates?  I’m not angry with you, I’m just madder than hell.  I asked for them almost three weeks ago.  Maybe it’s better this way though.  I won’t have to go through all the trouble of opening the box.  I’ll just mail it back, as it came, as I rush for the train South.

In case I ever do get home, you can appease my anger & hunger by having some of the following.  Bean soup, cabbage soup, breaded veal cutlet, baked beans & potatoes, lima beans, chopped liver, etc. & anything else that you remember I like.

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment