About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Laundry

Ben is at the University of Connecticut for A.S.T.P. school  which is the  (Army Specialized Training Program.)   Can you imagine him sending his laundry home?    Families did their share on the home front. Here Ben asks for his brother’s skates, and repeats the request over the next two months.  Finally he will show a degree of anger, a rarity for such a gentle person.

November 3, 1943    
Storrs, Connecticut
Monday

Dear Folks,
I haven’t received any word from you about the laundry, so I’m sending it on.  I hope you can take care of it.  I think I can last out until you send it back.  They have no facilities for washing anything like they did at Camp Croft, so I hope it doesn’t take too long.

Also, would you please send me Bob’s skates as soon as you can.  I don’t know where they are, but you’ll probably find them easy enough.  It’ll be something to do on Sunday and possibly for a little while on week nights.
Had a swell time over the weekend in Willi.  It’s getting a little colder up here now.  Hope it doesn’t get too cold.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment