About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

Deep End

Ben is at  A.S.T.P. school    He writes about his near death experience in the pool without apparent anger toward the person who pushed him in.  Please click Ben’s name at the end of this letter to transfer over to the website page to listen to Florence’s unedited recording about another swimming experience.

University of Connecticut
November 5, 1943    
Thursday

Dear Folks,
Well, yesterday I took over my new job as Platoon Leader.  As I’ve told you before, we have the Cadet system up here, whereby a Company Commander, First Sergeant, four Platoon Leaders, four Platoon Sergeants, & Squad Leaders are picked from the ranks.  I happened to be picked for one of the Platoon Leader jobs.  It isn’t much of a job.  I’m in charge of two sections (1 platoon) at every formation for two weeks.  Mostly it’s just marching them over to mess.  I didn’t like the idea before I started, but I don’t mind now.  My voice isn’t too adapted to giving commands though, it’s a little high.  I might have to take charge of two platoons for the parade on Saturday but I hope not.  I’d probably goof off.

Those fellows that I told you shipped out, didn’t do too bad at Fort Bragg.  They were all made Cadre & raised to Corporals.  Maybe I would have been better off if I’d gone with them.  They’re also getting 9 day furloughs.  I’m thinking of trying to get in the Air Corps.  I’d like to get in the Ground Crew, but that’s closed.  So I’d have to be accepted for an Air Cadet & then flunk out so I’d be sent to the Ground Crew.

I’ve heard from a pretty good source that they aren’t going to ship out anybody until after the furlough.  So it looks as if I’ll be home on Christmas day & then the following week for my furlough which starts the first of the year.  But don’t count on it too heavily.  You know how the Army works.  When you send the laundry back, tell me how long it takes & possibly what days to send it home.  I’ll probably have enough to send out when the other comes back.

I just got back from Physical Training & a close escape with death.  We have a new system whereby after about 40 minutes of exercise that takes everything out of you, we either take tumbling, boxing, or swimming, changing around every time, with a free period once a week, when we can do what we want.  Well today, we went swimming.  As I walked into the pool, one of the fellows, not knowing that I can’t swim, pushed me into the water, in the deep end.  I thought it was the end.  I held my nose & breath so I wouldn’t swallow water & I tried to kick my way to the top after hitting bottom.  But I didn’t rise.  Oh, the thoughts that went through my head.  I had a dream about three years ago, about that happening to me, and I thought this was it.  Finally they pulled me out.  I guess that theory of sink or swim didn’t work with me.  That’s about all for now.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment