About Me

My photo
In 1943 I was drafted into World War 11 right out of Madison High School, Rochester, NY. This is my story as told in the letters I wrote home. They’re all here, all 192 of them. Spend some time with me as I describe my experiences in basic training and then off to war. They were written in an attempt to help me feel close to my family and to let them know what was going on in my life. It’s the first time I was away from home and I have to confess that I was homesick. My folks were Esther and Jacob Kaplow. We were four children in this order: Arnette, Ruth, Bob, and myself.

K.P. not hard

To make a call home, soldiers had to stand in line for the call to be put through by an operator.  Many times Ben wouldn’t wait because the line was just too long.
 
Camp Upton
July 2, 1943 
Thurs Nite
 
I’m too tired to write much - I just had K-P again - 14 hrs of work.  I was in the cafeteria putting stuff on the boys’ trays.  Also scrubbing & cleaning.  I don’t mind the work, but it’s the hours that kill me.  I think I’ll go get a haircut now.  I was thinking of calling you up but the line was too long.  If I get the chance I might call about noon or 7:00 p.m. But don’t count on it cause I don’t want to disappoint you.
 
Best,

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment